Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Is the Ordinariate Anglican?


That's a question I have had on my mind ever since the Apostolic constitution appeared. I have been thinking about it again in the last couple months with the appointment of Msgr. Steenson as Ordinary in this country. Back a couple year ago I would have answered the question in the fashion of Herr Professor Barth: "NEIN!"

Having had a little time to cool down and watch the progress of my brothers and sisters in the Ordinariate, I have moderated my position significantly. I am not, and have never been, an Anglo-Papalist. I am a classical Anglo-Catholic, a Tractarian and an unapologetic Ritualist, but I believe in Episcopal and conciliar government of the Church. I do think the Pope has a special role of authority in the Church, but I do not accept the doctrines of infallibility or (even less) universal jurisdiction. Hence, my total lack of interest in the Ordinarite when it was first announced. I still have no plans to move in that direction, for the same reasons.

I have been to one Ordinariate mass so far, at St. Luke's in Bladensburg, MD, and what was amazing to me was how much I felt at home. The worst part of the service was not receiving the Eucharist, because I felt very much that these were my people, these were Anglicans and Catholics in the senses that mattered. I sensed no bitterness or anger from the congregation, or the preacher, Msgr. Keith Newton; only joy and gratitude.

Now there are a lot of reasons why you could claim that the Ordinariate is not really Anglican, but most of the criticisms I have heard come down to this: You can't be an Anglican and be in communion with the Roman Catholic Church. But if a Church defines itself by being not in communion with another church, I have to say I think it has crossed the line into being a sect. Christ's call is for unity, and a Church that has ceased pursuing unity is in grave sin and needs to repent.

There are more sophisticated theological critiques of the Ordinariate. Obviously, I don't agree with all of their theology. But I have equally strong or stronger disagreements with Anglicans in, oh, say Sydney Australia, who are officially part of the Anglican Communion. So until some one comes up with a really clear definition of Anglicanism, I think the Ordinariate is Anglican.

Sorry, readers, if this is a debate you are not part of and find boring. It's the sort of thing that comes up in my world though, so I figured I would throw my hat in the ring in defense of the Ordinariate.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Paul,

    I've come to the conclusion that the Ordinariate is the only future for "Tracterians" and "classical Anglo-Catholics" such as you (and I suppose, still, me). TEC is no place for Anglo-Catholics of any description.

    It is great that you felt at home with St. Luke's church. I am starting a group in the new Ordinariate with about a dozen people. Please remember us in your prayers.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Since you view St. Thomas as your personal model, you might read over his arguments about the Petrine ministry in Contra Errores Graecorum, in particular chapter 32 - 38.

    http://dhspriory.org/thomas/ContraErrGraecorum.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew,
    Thank you for commenting. I will certainly keep you in my prayers. Where is your group and does it have a name? I would love to know so that I can include it it my prayers more specifically. Forgive me for being excessively inquisitive, but are you, by any chance, Father Andrew Bartus?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul; No, I am another Andrew, but I am well aware of the good work Fr. Bartus is doing. Our group should be "going public" soon enough. I will try and remember to post a link in the fullness of time. There is a time and season for all things. Peace!

      Delete