Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Now in New Mexico

Well, I made it to New Mexico in one piece. I got to Amarillo, TX on Friday and stopped for lunch. My goal for Friday was to make it to Albuquerque, and since Amarillo was only three hours from Albuquerque, I decided to dawdle a little bit. I wandered into a store that claimed to be "Texas' Catholic Superstore!" where the proprietor evangelized me.
He also asked me if I had ever read Thomas Aquinas. I have to admit, I found this a bit funny. I was even wearing my Aquinas medal at the time. I just said yes, I have read a little Aquinas, and he is one of my favorites.
I found a number of things I wanted in the store - mostly statues and pictures, and a couple of books - but I resisted the temptation to buy anything, and pressed on to Albuquerque, where I spent the night.

I arrived in Las Cruces yesterday (I can't believe it was only yesterday!) around one in the afternoon, and I was greeted by Fr. Nick and his wife from the church. We had lunch at a Boba shop located a couple of blocks away from my new apartment, which is also next door to a Starbucks, where I am sitting right now, giving you an update.
I had time for a quick nap before I went off to the Juvenal detention facility with a team from the Church. They go once a month and just hang out with the guys in one dorm area, and spend a little time in prayer. One member of our team gave a brief talk on the presence of God in our lives, and how we can experience that presence. I was impressed, as I have been in the past when I participated in prison ministry, by the amount of faith which some of these guys have, and I am looking forward to going back.

This morning I attended both services at St. James, and met the congregation. They were all very welcoming, and I am looking forward to getting to know the parish better. In the mean time I am taking a break, and trying to catch up on email and various other tasks. Tomorrow I have the day off, so I will be taking the day to explore Las Cruces. It looks like a beautiful town, and I think I will enjoy my summer here.
Pax Tibi, Per Crucem.

No comments:

Post a Comment